Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Jackson's Broke Leg








Yes the title is correct. Jackson broke his left femur or leg thigh in non-medical terms. Jackson was in his room playing while Jason & I were downstairs. Jason heard something & took off running upstairs and for some reason I took off outside the front door. I would later find out that Jason heard Jackson yell "ahh" and then a loud noise. When I got to the porch Jackson was sitting on his bottom in front of the truck on the concrete. He had fallen out of his window to the concrete below. It was about an 18-20 feet fall. I scooped him up & took him inside, handed him off to Jason & called 911. Jason started looking him over and saw that something was wrong with his leg. At that point Jackson started crying. Jason took over the 911 call, I broke down & couldn't talk to them. As he was on the phone with them I called Mike and told him to come get Nathan. We had an ambulance, cop, & fire rescue. They came in said his leg is broke & needed to get to the hospital. They had to cut in pants & shirt off. I don't think he remembers what shirt he had on but it was his favorite Disney shirt. He wears it all the time. They loaded him into the ambulance, I got in the front & they told Jason he couldn't follow the ambulance. He didn't listen very well but I don't blame him. They took us to Scottish Rite and all the way there Jackson cried & asked them to go faster, please. They went as fast as they could. We got to Scottish Rite & they were waiting on us. They started working on him & came to the conclusion that he only had a broken leg. Thank God. They also had the Chaplain there & he told me that this was not what they expected, he actually looks good compared to what happened. They gave him morphine and thought he was gonna go to sleep however, it didn't. It calmed him down & he started talking. He would not stop. He had everyone laughing. The tech that was holding his head thought he was the coolest kid. The entire time he was laying on the table all he would tell me was he was sorry for pushing up his blinds. ( This is something he knows not to do) It took a couple of hours but we finally got to a room. We were told that in the morning he would have surgery. We would talk to the surgeon in the morning but he would either have a body cast, from his chest down his left leg to his ankle and on his right to his knee, or a rod would be placed in his bone to help it heal. None of us slept well that night. In the morning we spoke with the surgeon & decided on the rod. It healed quicker & he could be up & walking in a few days instead of 6 weeks in the cast. Surgery was scheduled for 12. Jason & I took him down at 12, spoke with the docs & then had to leave. He cried & wanted Daddy to go with him but we assured him he would be fine. That was the hardest thing I have ever done. Watching them wheel him back crying & I couldn't go with him & knowing he was about to have surgery. The 2 hours he was gone went by so slow. We had lunch, bought him some balloons and headed to his room to wait. Jackson coming back into his room was the best. He was still asleep but he was there and the Doc said he did great. He has 2 small incisions on each side of his knee but should be back to normal soon. What great news. We took him home on Monday. No problems or complications.


It took a couple of days but we finally found out exactly what happened. He climbed onto the window seal & used both hands to push the window up. He lost his balance & fell out head first. Somehow he managed to do a flip & land on his bottom. He bumped his head on the ground and only had a couple of scratches on his forehead & belly. We were lucky. This should have had a different outcome & somehow he didn't. Jackson has so many angels and God looking out for him. I think I am still in shock over this. I have talked & prayed & can't seem to grasp this. I hate that this happened to him. I hate that he is in such pain. I have cried so much that I have no more tears. I know we were/are lucky that it ended the way it did but it's my baby. I am thankful for so much. We have such an amazing family & friends that have helped in so many ways. Thank you all for everything. Thank you for loving my baby & thank you for all the prayers.








3 comments:

  1. Ouch!
    Glad to hear he is doing ok.
    He sure did have some angels on his side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't read this without crying! Even though I know he is fine now. What a strong little, no make that BIG boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been praying for your family Nicolle. What a tough kid! He is beautiful, I bet it hurt you more than him in the end :o)

    ReplyDelete